Riverview Cheerleader Expectations
GOAL: To promote and uphold school spirit, to develop good sportsmanship among students, to support athletic programs, and to represent Riverview High School at all competitions.
- Selection-The Varsity team may consist of 20 members. The Junior Varsity team may consist of 12. Selection is based upon the coaches’ criteria in accordance with county policy and a rigorous tryout.
- Attitude – Positive and respectful at all times. A bad attitude will not be tolerated! Cooperation is a must!
- Misconduct - It is a responsibility to be a Riverview High School Cheerleader. As a cheerleader you are a student-athlete and a student leader. Any behavior, which does not represent Riverview High School and its cheerleaders in a positive way, is considered reason for termination from the team. You are a Riverview Cheerleader while in the classroom, on the playing field, and in your community. You will be held accountable for your actions at ALL times. Skipping school, public displays of affection, profanity, drug or alcohol use, fighting, and other major offenses will not be tolerated and will be reason for immediate dismissal from the team by the coach. Minor infractions will also be handled with extreme harshness, including suspension from participation in cheerleading activities. As a representative of Riverview High School you are expected to always bring honor to yourself, your school, your team, and your coach.
- Participation – All cheerleaders are required to participate in all games, practices, fundraising activities, and other events as determined by the coach.
- Appearance – All cheerleaders are required to be in proper uniform. For girls, this includes a neat appearance with hair pulled back in a ponytail holder, if long enough. Cheerleaders are not to chew gum, wear nail polish, wear jewelry, or wear extreme make-up, hairstyles, or hair color while in uniform.
- Skill - Cheerleaders must be athletes. Cheerleading involves aspects of several athletic activities: agility and coordination of gymnastics, stamina of track, strength of body building, vertical leap for jumps, balance and flexibility of dance, etc.
- Academics – You are required to hold a 2.5 GPA. This is only the minimum standard. As a cheerleader you should not have any conduct grade below an A. You will be expected to be a leader not only on the playing field, but also in the classroom.
- Priorities – As a student-athlete, your grades and education are most important. Cheering for Riverview involves more than just football and basketball games; it is a year-round sport. Cheerleading is an incredible amount of hard work and dedication. It requires a real commitment, not just to the sport of cheerleading, but to Riverview High School, your coach, and your teammates. Our practices can be strenuous. We will build endurance, strength, and integrity here at RHS. You will be expected to give 100%. You must be willing to put cheering for Riverview ahead of all other outside activities, including All-Star teams and jobs.
- Attendance- Attendance at all team functions is mandatory. Work and non-school activities should not interfere with practice, games, or any other scheduled event. Scheduled appointments should be scheduled for game days prior to a game or non-practice days. The coach must be contacted by phone by the parent or guardian if a cheerleader must miss an event. Excused or unexcused absences may result in a cheerleader not cheering at that week’s game (at the coaches’ discretion). Tardiness of any kind may also result in a cheerleader not cheering at that week’s game (at the coaches’ discretion). If a cheerleader is not cheering for disciplinary reasons or is injured, that cheerleader is still required to attend all activities. In cases of repeated failure to meet expectations, a cheerleader may be suspended from the team and may not be able to dress for an activity.
- Game etiquette- Cheerleaders are expected to display outstanding conduct and sportsmanship at all times. They are expected to concentrate on the game and to lead the cheers until the final seconds of the game. There should be no socializing with anyone while cheering. Realize it or not all eyes are on you while cheering. Public displays of affection of any kind will not be tolerated. You are a representative of Riverview High School and must act in a manner that will make all proud. Cheerleaders must stay together at all times and will only be excused by the coach. If a cheerleader does not return to cheer by the time designated by the coach, she will not cheer the rest of the game. In cases of repeated tardiness, the coach may suspend the cheerleader from cheering.
- Uniforms- It is an honor to wear a Sharks Cheerleader uniform. It is your responsibility to treat all pieces of your uniform with care. Uniforms, including shoes, are not to be worn except to cheerleading activities. Your uniform may only be worn by you, and may not be borrowed by anyone, including other cheerleaders. Adjustments or alterations to any uniform should not be made without approval from the coach (darts, hems, zippers, etc.). All uniforms are the property of Riverview High School and must be returned dry-cleaned at the end of the season. At this time all uniforms will be checked for holes, snags, stains and unapproved alterations. The cheerleader will be charged with replacement costs for any damages.
- Transportation- Transportation to home games is the responsibility of the cheerleader. The coach must approve all means of transportation to away games. If a bus is provided for away games, all cheerleaders must ride the bus to and from the game. The coach can not be responsible for any transportation of cheerleaders. All of these requirements are implemented to ensure the safety of our athletes. This is of the utmost importance.
- Letters- Varsity cheerleaders will receive a letter based upon participation and conduct as determined by the coach.
- Captains- Captains and/or co-captains will be selected by the coach. They may be removed from this duty by the coach if they are not fulfilling their duties at any time. Captains will be chosen during the season when the coach feels necessary.
Cheering at Riverview will require a tremendous amount of time and hard work. It will also be full of fun and excitement that you won’t want to miss!! As a member of the cheerleading team at Riverview High School, you will be a part of many traditions that will remain for years to come. I can promise you a year full of rewarding experiences, where you will learn a great deal about yourself and being a part of a true team.
Cheerleading Consequence Chart
Grades Unsatisfactory Grade Report 1 game suspension
Note: If after the first nine-week period a cheerleader has failed to maintain a 2.0, she/he will be suspended without uniform until the next nine-week’s grades. If at that time she/he has not brought her/his grades up to a 2.5, she/he will be removed from the team.
Conduct Unsatisfactory Conduct Grade 1 game suspension
ISS 1st: 1 game suspension
2nd: 3 game suspension
3rd: Removal from team
OSS Immediate Removal from team (based on Coach’s
A Cheerleader may be removed at any time for failure to meet team expectations.
Participation Tardy after Half ½ game suspension
Missed Mandatory Event (unexcused) 1st: 1 game suspension
2nd: Removal from the team
An absence can only be excused by a parent phone call or note prior to the absence. You may reach the school at 671-5011 ext. 485 or call my cell phone at 609-870-1646. The Coach will determine if it is an excused or unexcused absence. Doctor’s Appointments, work, and other non-school related activities will not be excused.